The Value Of The Print: The first APS Print Show & Competition
It's the digital age, and the advancement of photographic technology and social media has saturated the world with images. We've got a fascination with progress, but in the interest of all that's new, we often forget the charm, substance, and relevance of the classics. As photographers - either pro or amateur - 'the classics' include the value of a physical print.
It's a romantic notion, that of the photographer toiling away in the darkroom, burning and dodging, choosing the right paper grade, mixing chemicals to make art. Those days are slipping away and as they do, our memory of the joy of tactile photography slips away as well.
Today's photography lies sleeping on hard drives, much of it never to be seen by future generations. The computer has replaced the darkroom, and digital cameras and smart phones have largely replaced film. We're addicted to cheap, fast instant gratification. Fries are up!
That said, the digital age has brought us a whole new form of art and artists. With many processing and printing choices, there are more avenues to create masterpieces than ever before. I loved the darkroom, but I also love our modern printers that, with the right talent in command, can create masterpieces with just as much vision.
So let's celebrate it.
In partnership with ViewPoint Gallery, we are having a Print Show and Competition. It's just about our 70th birthday - we're the oldest independent photography lab in the province - and this is the perfect way to celebrate photographic art in this new age.
Share your best shots with us! We'd love to see them. Everyone is welcome, and we can't wait to showcase the value of a mindful, visionary print. Come celebrate with us!
The First Annual Atlantic Photo Supply Print Show & Competition runs Thursday, April 19, 2012 until Tuesday, April 24, 2012. This great event is open to anyone who wishes to submit their images to print. We mean anyone - professionals, artists, or enthusiasts. The show will highlight the talent of our community. That includes you!
ENTRY DEADLINE IS APRIL 1, 2012
- All images will be printed by Atlantic Photo Supply on 8x10 (or 8x12) metallic paper and mounted on smooth mount.
- The cost is $5.00 per entry and $5.00 per print ($10 total). Limited to 4 entries and prints per person. There will be 4 categories to enter under: Portrait, Wedding, Photographic Art, and Commercial.
- There will be a panel of 3 Judges that will determine the winner in each category. There will also be a public choice ballot as well. Prizes for the winners will be announced at a later date.
- To submit your entry, log in here. Create your account and upload your file to the site. They should be sized 8x10 (or 8x12) at 300 dpi in sRGB or Adobe 98 colour space. Order your 8x10 (or 8x12) and proceed to check out. In the space for comments, tell us the category for your entry. Your files should be named by the name you give the image.
- If you want to proof your submission, there will be a $5.00 charge per print.
- We intend to display the best 200 prints. You may pick up your prints at Atlantic Photo after the show, or we can mail them for an additional cost of $5.00.
Good luck, and have fun!